Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Episode 2: Dagger Hair Cut


SUMMARY OF SCENE

My face is no longer bleeding, but my dignity has not fared so well. I stare at myself in the mirror, noticing my long scraggly hair. Perhaps I am a bit unkempt, but sloven? His accusations sting like my new knife.
That's right! I do have a new knife. I can show him now. I'll just clean up my appearance a bit. When I go back out, he'll see. They'll all see!
I clutch my dagger, grab ahold of my long hair, and steady myself.

So what's next? Do I have fabulous new do or will this only make things worse like the whole bottle breaking incident?

MY HYPOTHESIS

I was certain it was going to hurt and pull my hair. I had braided it just to be sure there would be no direct pull on my scalp but just the same. My plan was to do it as quickly as possible.

ACTUAL OUTCOME

Well, as you can see for yourself it didn't quite work out as planned. I can't see it in the video, but my hair does not look super awesome. It kind of does until you get to the part that is shorter than the rest. That's what I get for braiding it. But the salon artist mentioned she'd seen the same results from cutting a ponytail off. So its not really the braids fault.

CONCLUSION OF SCENE

I attempt a swift sweeping cut, but nothing happens.
"Great." I roll my eyes at my luck and start sawing away.
It does work. Eventually. But now my hair is even worse than before. I shake it out. THe ends aren't even and there's a section in the back that's shorter than the rest.
I toss down the detached braid. "Fidgets."
I'll just have to think of another bright idea.

DETAILS

Firstly, it did not hurt. At all. I really had no problems with pain even on the first cut when I tried to do it just like the movies. The knife just slid off the hair and I had no pulling on my scalp at all.

Secondly, obviously it does not work like in the movies. I had to cut and saw at my hair to get through it all. It was a brand new knife that we even honed just to be sure it was the best we could get. But as sharp as it was, the hair needed more work. This is partly because hair is about the same as aluminum in strength. You read that correctly. Hair=aluminum. When they match in thickness they are about the same. Think about breaking a hair and tearing a piece of aluminum foil. Its about the same. Hair is tough stuff in the end. Especially when grouped together like that in a ponytail or braid.

Thirdly, I did not get a cute haircut from my braid cut off attempt. It was mostly okay until you got to that one short part. Which was just going to be inevitable no matter how much time I'd spent making sure I braided it evenly and smoothed out all the hairs. Nothing beats a good ole pair of scissors and a bit more time.

That being said, I bet if I had taken the hair in smaller sections and cut it similarly to a normal stylist's method, then it wouldn't be too bad. But that wasn't what we were looking at. This was about the one slice hair style. And it doesn't work. (Don't worry though, it looks pretty good now that I've been to a real salon.)

In case you're curious, my hair was roughly 22-24 inches long. I cut off about 9-10 inches with the knife (depending on the spot). The hair stylist cut off an additional two inches to make it all even. So my hair is about 10-12 inches now. (I layered it). I also still have the hair. It's a little weird.

Anyways, it was a fun one to do. I appreciate my parents for letting me film in their lovely backyard. Please leave comments (like suggestions for other things I can do) and I'll post another episode in two weeks (Hint: It's about super sleuths and treasure hunting).

Keep your pants on!

11 comments:

Charlie N. Holmberg said...

Wow. I'm impressed that you did that!

Anonymous said...

Wow. That's awesome, thanks!

I'll be on the look-out for ideas, too! :D

Riley Redgate said...

You're a brave soul and you're freaking adorable. I love this series so much gaaahhh.

Tracy N. Jorgensen said...

Thanks guys! Somehow I got 300 views on youtube already. I knew this would be a good one. I haven't even announced this post yet! Sweet.

Michelle 4 Laughs said...

Crazy brave comes to mind.

KellieM said...

You have (had) such thick, gorgeous hair. What a great video, you gutsy chick.

Anonymous said...

AWESOME! You deserve some kind of award for the service you are providing! :D

Tracy N. Jorgensen said...

Thanks. Can that reward be lots of followers who get to benefit from my videos? Cuz that's what I want most.

Precy Larkins said...

You are crazy-good-fun. And super brave. I applaud you, missy! You just might be my new (s)hero!! :)

Unknown said...

Dude, that's impressive. And thanks for clearing that up, I'd always assumed that it would hurt like the dickens!

Eisley Jacobs said...

Omgoodness! I laughed out loud when he showed the back ;)